Pittsburgh Penguins (3-0-1) vs. Washington Capitals (2-0-0)
7PM/ET
TV- NHLN, CSW
A Tale of Two Teams
The Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals are both undefeated up to this point in the season, however, they have done so completely different ways.
The Pens have won without their studs, Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. Crosby is still out from last year where he suffered concussion symptoms during the second half of last year. Malkin was injured after dropping the gloves (or at least attempting to) with Curtis Glencross in a game last weekend.
Apparently, Matt Cooke (tied for the NHL lead in goals????) has switched roles with Malkin...I'm ok with it.
So how have the Pens been winning? The Pens have gotten great play out of mediocre players. I already mentioned Matt Cooke, but Pascal Dupuis and James Neal, who both will end up sucking in the long run, have been solid so far. The Caps will need to keep an eye on Kris Letang and Jordan Staal (and Malkin--if he dresses).
The biggest offensive threat to the Caps is none other than Sir Marc Andre. He is always looking to score and the Capitals must be aware of where he is on the ice at all times. Just look at his attempt in their last game....
On a more serious note, the Penguins PP is lethal and PK is suffocating--so expect the Capitals PP to look even worse than normal.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The Capitals have also won without a pair of stars not showing up. Of course, by not showing up--I mean playing absolutely terrible.
Ovechkin has not looked like the player who was once considered the best player in the league. He went all Russian on us and said "play better I need to.....all of us." Yes Alex, please do.
Similarly, after being backhand slapped by Bruce Boudreau in the season opener, Tomas Vokoun followed up by letting three goals in from behind the goal line. He said he "looks to bounce back." Yes Tomas, please do.
However, just like the Penguins, we have our own third line superstar. Jason Chimera has been a force for the Caps and is in a tie for the league lead in goals. Linemates Joel Ward and Brooks Laich have also been very solid. Brucey....if you split up this line, I will find you and beat your ass.
Also, don't forget about Semin...he is still mad that his chain been broken.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am still up in the air on what I expect tonight. If the Caps come out like they did against the Lightning, I don't think Pittsburgh can hang with them. However, if the Caps look out of sync, like they did the first game....it could be a long night.
Also, I know people always say "the refs don't win or lose the game for you," but in this case they actually can. If the refs call the game like it is a men's league no check game--advantage Pens. If they let them play--advantage Caps.
A lot of questions are still unanswered for this Caps teams. I look for a lot of them to be answered tonight.
Prediction
Capitals 4 Penguins 3 (OT)
Star 1: Sidney Crosby
Source: thepensblog.com
Star 2: Dan Bylsma
The hard on by the entire state of Pennslyvania gets Disco Dan the nod.
Star 3 - Tomas Vokoun
Hoping for the reverse jynx here (Please God....redemption)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Be sure to check back tomorrow for the recap and email districtredzone@gmail.com if you think this blog sucks


No comments:
Post a Comment